The Services Innovation Lab (SIL), led by researchers with development and client experience in virtually every field of science and technology, will bring together researchers and services professionals to generate ideas, solve problems, capture opportunities and create new innovations that will transform services. You can learn more about the SIL here.
IBM Research - Almaden senior manager for services research, Stefan Nusser, has been named Almaden Lead for the SIL. Below, he provides some additional thoughts on the motivations, goals and ideal outcomes.
Stefan's team, composed of researchers with varying expertise - nanotechnology, computational biology, user interaction, computer science, data mining, security and compliance, mathematics, business optimization and more - includes Sandeep Gopisetty, IBM Research Distinguished Engineer, who already has a portfolio of projects in place for the launch of the SIL:
- Backup and recovery tools to help with the majority of critical situations in the customer environment.
- Customer environment insights to check the heal and performance, reducing critical situations as well as helping to manage the customer environment more simply.
- Addressing the management of firmware and patches for hardware.
- Intelligent performance aware automation for complex storage tasks.
- Unified policy-based ILM for enterprise storage.